Saturday, November 7, 2009

Best Atari 2600 Games Ever


As much as modern console games are OK, I  have a real soft spot for some of the classic console games that I grew up with.



I call her 'Black Beauty'
Photo by Lightning Heart


Super flashy 3D graphics don't really do much for me.
I think fun game-play, coupled with crappy 2D graphics = the ultimate gaming experience.

Forget your X-Box 360's with their fancy graphics and over-the-top controllers with 7 million buttons!
Today I write about my favourite Atari 2600 games!



 Tower of Magnificence!
Photo by Lightning Heart

Take Tennis for example:


 Feels like you're in the game!

This game is very simple yet highly addictive, and gets very competitive in 2-player mode. It's pretty much just as awesome as Wii Sports Tennis, only you don't have to get off the couch to play, so actually it's better than Wii Sports Tennis!

---

Next up is Pitfall!


 Pitfall Harry in the throes of adventure

This is one of the first 2D side-scrolling platform games.
With its hugely improved graphics and highly adventurous game-play, Pitfall! is a wild ride right from the start!
The best way to play this game is to run from right to left unlike all other side-scrolling games. This way you avoid jumping over dangerous logs.
Also it's not a good idea to die, because once your lives run out, that's it, you have to start over!

---

Donkey Kong


Mario's first ever appearance!

Donkey Kong is a total classic. Although visually it gets boring because there are only 2 different screens.
Like all good games, it gets progressively harder as you play, until the point of ridiculousness and then you die.
The last time I played this I somehow managed to get the 11th highest score ever, obviously I have no proof of this, so you'll have to take my word for it!

---

Dazzling Horse

---

image 3        image 4       image 5

4 comments:

  1. actually, i can vouch for your score ... i think ... i remember you checking your score on the website thingy ... yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa. As if you didn't take a photo?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well I didn't think much of it at the time, I mean it's not really worth anything is it?
    Plus it's a complete different category to the arcade version of the same game, so I don't think it's that special really :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pitfall was such a good game in those days! i remember playing the new version in 98 and unlocking the original version! Total nostalgia fest! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails